Every business out there aims to drive more traffic to its website and landing pages. However, simply driving the traffic to a website is not enough. Once you get visitors onto your pages, what happens is an equally important aspect to track and work on.
This is where CRO or conversion rate optimization comes into the picture.
CRO, as a metric, helps you make your website as efficient as possible at achieving conversions. This blog explores CRO, why it is essential for businesses, and a few expert tips to build an effective CRO strategy.
What is CRO and How does it Help Businesses?
CRO or Conversion Rate Optimization is a strategy used to increase website visitors to take some desired action. Among these actions are:
- Purchasing products or email signup
- Registering for services
- A phone call or form submission
- Signing up for free trials
- Clicking a button
- Donation and more
Put simply, CRO is the process of creating a compelling user experience for your website visitors to encourage them to take the desired action you want them to. CRO typically includes multiple elements such as testing different versions of content, optimizing website landing page designs, improving the visual experience for better content/user experience.
If managed well, CRO can help your brand gain visibility and improve ROI and overall revenue. Among the key benefits of an effective CRO strategy for your business include:
- Better conversion rate leading to repeat business/customers and greater customer retention.
- Allows you to capitalize on your existing traffic without having to figure out how to do SEO, PPC, and other website traffic generating methods.
- It helps you win customers from competitors.
- Enables you to identify which parts of your website are underperforming and accordingly make the necessary improvements.
READ: What Is CRO and Why It Matters to Your Business
Tips to Build an Effective CRO Strategy
Here are some excellent conversion rate optimization strategies that help deliver an exceptional user experience and motivate prospects to buy.
Optimise your mobile UX
Most marketers want to make it easy for website visitors as soon as they are on their website to convert. Some of the typical CRO tactics they use include eliminating unnecessary buttons and other clutter to ensure that users’ attention remains on their primary call to action or CTA.
However, mobile UX is one of the most important aspects of online marketing and a powerful CRO strategy that many businesses do not pay attention to. Since more and more customers today are using mobile devices to search and shop, it becomes critical for businesses to improve their website’s mobile UX and reduce obstacles to conversions. This allows them to capitalize on mobile traffic, leading to better conversion rates on mobile devices.
Here are some of the things you can consider to optimize your website for mobile:
- Check the location of your main call to action and ensure that a user reaches it easily.
- Check if your forms pre-populate?
- Are all your contact numbers listed on the website clickable?
- Is your menu visible as users scroll?
- If you have a chatbot on your site, is it impeding a user’s ability to navigate?
Closely examine your analytics
An essential part of an effective CRO strategy is understanding your user, making it important to examine your analytics closely.
You can make use of a standard Google Analytics report to learn a bit about your audience and their behaviour. However, for optimal understanding and deeper insights, it is always recommended to utilize the full potential of deep analytics tactics such as A/B split testing, funnels, mobile analytics, and concept testing.
Putting together all your systems and data in one place to test is an excellent way to offer an optimised site experience to visitors.
Ensure to protect user privacy
Website conversions typically require users to give their personal information, including address, credit card number, or phone number. However, with increased instances of data breaches and other privacy concerns, most users are reluctant to provide their personal information online, especially to websites or brands that are new to them.
Therefore, businesses need to establish trust and reassure users about protecting their data. To do this, you can:
- Mention why you need their personal information either at the checkout process, above your contact form, or anywhere else on your site.
- Make sure to not ask for redundant or unnecessary information.
- Let your customer know exactly what you will do with the information and data you collect.
Optimise your high-performing content
Not prioritising your high-performance content can slowly and steadily harm your conversions. For instance, high-traffic content such as blog posts should trigger to push website visitors into your marketing funnel. Some of the ways you can do this include:
- Add targeted CTAs related to your business within the context of your content logically and intuitively for better conversions.
- Optimize your high-converting landing pages by fixing your SEO with semantic indexing and entities, which can lead to an organic push from Google.
Work on your CTAs
The importance of CTAs or calls to action on your website is huge. They are the essential elements of your pages that encourage visitors to take the steps you want from them. This makes it necessary to try different CTAs to find the ones that best suit your audience.
There are various types of CTA you can work on, including:
- Text-based CTAs-Helps you tackle the issue of banner blindness, which is nothing but the tendency of internet users to skim over what looks like advertising content on a page.
- Buttons– They are catchier and appear attractive to visitors.
- Pricing tables– Gives a quick snapshot of the pricing for direct conversions.
When optimising your CTAs, two of the other important aspects to keep in mind are the design and positioning of your CTAs, which include aspects such as colour of buttons, language used, or length of forms, that can impact the overall effectiveness of a CTA.
See your conversion rates soar!
The strategies mentioned above play a crucial role in developing strong conversion rates for your business. A well-defined, comprehensive, and competitive CRO strategy allows you to address all of these factors and generate value in your channels, improve the user experience, and reduce overall abandonment rates.